Monday, February 18, 2008

that which was last weekend...

So. I was in New York again this weekend, and it was completely fabulous other than the jarring bus rides (yay chinatown bus!) and 2 am return...

Saturday I left at 10:30 (bus was running way late) and got into the city at around 2:30. Crossing various bridges made me nervous, as I have a really weird fear of suspension bridges.. even though I always love crossing the Manhattan bridge and seeing the Statue of Liberty off in the distance.
Waited in chinatown for Jennifer (neighbor/friend since we were 12) and she and another girl I knew from high school came and got me. We wandered over to little italy and had italian food with some of her friends from NYU and some other peeps. Terra (friend of mine i've had since the age of 2) met us there, and after we ate, we all headed over to Rice to Riches, a place that has like 80 bazillion choices of RICE PUDDING. I got raspberry rice pudding with toasted coconut on it. YUMMY. Then Jenn, Terra and I headed back to Jenn's dorm in Union Square. We hung out there just talking for a while, and then we headed out on the town! Wandered around St Marks area for a while and ended up finding this restaurant called Candela. Jenn's friend Sara met us there, and they had the best fucking shrimp I've ever had. I'm not even a big fan of shrimp. Yummy. A shrimp salad, a mojito, and a martini later, we left - Terra and me being the slightly intoxicated ones - and went to Pomme Frites at like 11pm, or something... Got fries, and went back to Sarah's dorm and watched Something's Gotta Give (love that movie) and all fell asleep while eating said fries. Left the dorm at like 1:30 am, said byebye to Terra, went back to Jenn's dorm and fell asleep.
Sunday, me and Jenn left the dorm at like 11, went to Bagel Bob's and had tasty bagels, then took the subway to midtown and headed to Bergdorf Goodman. God I could so live there...... ANYWAY so I tried on some Manolo's but they didn't fit uber well cause they didn't have a 7.5, only an 8... poo. Left Bergdorf DETERMINED to find the perfect shoes at the Manolo Blahnik boutique on W 54th (it's right across from MoMA)... lo and behold, I did. :) I love them. They are fabulous and I highly recommend buying some if you're a shoe fiend like myself. After buying my shoes, me and Jenn headed to the new location of Magnolia Bakery. OMFG x 10000 they have the most amazing cupcakes EVER. Seriously. I can't even explain how fucking amazing the cupcake was. After that we went to Chelsea Market for lunch, and then to Red Mango, where we shared some frozen yogurt. If you're familiar with Pinkberry, Red Mango is the original. They came before Pinkberry. And they're better! Then we went back to the dorm, hung out for a while... before heading out to meet Jenn's friends and walk across the Brooklyn Bridge to Grimaldi's Pizza. It's in Brooklyn and we waited in the friggin rain for an hour just to get in. Then we rushed back to the dorm so I could pack, and then me, Jenn, and Sarah took a cab to chinatown and I took the jarring 4 hour busride back. I got back at 2 am and got to my apartment at around 2:30... yeah. crazy crazy weekend.


Locations and such of places I went:
Rice to Riches:
37 Spring Street, between Mott and Mulberry St,
New York City - 212.274.0008

Magnolia Bakery:
200 Columbus Ave, New York City (new local)
401 Bleeker St, New York City (original local)

Candela Restaurant
116 E 16th St, New York City, NY

Grimaldis Pizza
Brooklyn, NY - 718.858.4300
19 Old Fulton St. under the Brooklyn Bridge

Pommes Frites
123 2nd Ave., New York City, NY 10003
(2nd Ave. between 7 & 8 St.) Tel. 212-674-1234

Bagel Bob's
51 University Pl, New York, NY 10003-4559
Phone: (212) 533-2627


cheers,
kate

No comments: