Tuesday, December 2, 2008

why is it socially inaccpetable to be single?

I'm perfectly fine with being single, but other people don't seem to be.

The world hates singletons.


If you are single, you receive pity. If you are single, and your friends are not, suddenly you are not always in their lives anymore. You aren't important because you apparently cannot possibly be someone to talk to if you can't talk about your lovey dovey couples moments with other couples.

Also, married people get tax breaks. If you are married and in the military, you get more money.

If you are at a certain age, it somehow becomes abnormal to not be dating or married. For example, I have started getting the question that all singletons dread- "is there someone special in your life?" by various individuals. As if I have lost my merit as a human at twenty-one years old because I am not the cultural/social norm due to my single status.

If you are of a certain age and spend a lot of time with people of either sex, people around you that don't know you will invariably make the assumption that you are a couple. You can't be friends, roommates, or even sisters without people assuming that you're dating someone. My mom and her sister were on a tour of the canyonlands of the US, and people ASSUMED they were a couple even though my mother was wearing her wedding ring and my aunt was not. "Would your friend like some cream and sugar?" The old lady asked my aunt. "You mean my sister?" she replied.

Gift giving:
You may receive a gift on your birthday, or you may not. Depending your religious views, this may be the only time of year you receive gifts if you are single. If you are married then gifts are:
1. wedding shower
2. wedding
3. anniversary
*4. baby shower
*5. baby

It's like that episode of Sex and the City. Carrie goes to a baby shower at someone's house, and her $500 shoes are stolen. When she tells this to the woman whose party/house it was, the woman scoffs at her lifestyle and talks about how 'well i have kids' as if that makes it alright to belittle other peoples lifestyles. Finally, Carrie gets her to pay for the shoes by registering herself at the boutique as marrying herself. So she gets her Manolos.


I could go on and on about this subject but it's too depressing.

namaste
.kate.

No comments: